Welcome to the Office of Instruction for the Homer Central School District. It is our primary job to support teachers and school leaders in the equitable education of ALL children in the district.
Homer Central School District offers a pre-kindergarten through grade 12 curriculum designed to promote the academic and personal development of all students. The District is proud to provide students with a strong academic program in core subjects, as well as offer AP and dual-enrollment (college) courses, and a variety of electives, such as art, music, technology, agriculture, and business.
This office is responsible for the following PreK-12 programs:
- Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment for all grade levels and departments
- Professional Development for all faculty, staff and administration
- Instructional Coaching
- Universal Prekindergarten
- Instructional Technology
- SchoolTool Parent Portal
- English as a New Language
- Teacher and Principal Evaluations
- Career and Technical Education State-Approved Pathways
- School Improvement - Accountability Metrics and Reporting
- Equity - Planning, Professional Development and Reporting
- Multi-tiered Systems of Support
- Academic Intervention Services
- Response to Intervention
This work is supported throughout the district by the Instructional Leadership Council whose membership includes administrators and teacher leaders from each grade level and department.
The four most important questions that we ask are:
- What do we want our students to know and be able to do?
- How do we know when each student has acquired the essential knowledge and skills?
- How will we respond when some students do not learn?
- How will we extend and enrich the learning for students who are already proficient?
At Homer, our teachers work in instructional teams and are expected to collaboratively plan and deliver a guaranteed curriculum guided by these four questions. In September of 2020 we celebrated a major milestone by identifying the essential standards at each grade level and in each course. We are continuing our work developing common formative assessments and guiding instructional teams in using those assessments to ensure that every student achieves the essential standards through re-teaching, review, and interventions as necessary.
If you have any questions about our instructional program or our curriculum procedures, please contact us. We value and appreciate student and parent feedback.
Assistant Superintendent of Instruction