HEALTH & SAFETY _____________________________________________________________________________________________|
Integrated Pest Management Program (IPM)
Services needed by Homer Central School District will be performed by a Pest Elimination agent once a month. The Pest Elimination agent will maintain control over pests at Homer Elementary, Intermediate-Junior High, and Senior High Schools. Kitchen and locker rooms will be done each month and any other areas, as needed. Pests included in this coverage are rodents, roaches, ants & bees.
Maintaining Control Using Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Techniques:
1.Rodents: Live traps, bait stations, or both, will be used inside and out, depending on rodent activity.
2.Roaches: Interior monitoring system and crack & crevice bait will be used as needed.
3.Ants: Ant bait will be used as needed.
4.Bees: August’s monthly service will be an exterior inspection and treatment of all bee & wasp nests.
New York State Education Law Section 409-H, effective July 1, 2001, requires all public and non-public elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all parents, guardians, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year.
The following pesticides applications ARE NOT subject to prior notification requirements:
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list.
- A school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application;
- Anti-microbial products;
- Nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
- Silica gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams or gels in areas inaccessible to children;
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate;
- The application of EPA designated biopesticides;
- The application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25;
- The use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets.
During the 2017-2018 school year, the Homer Central School District did not make any pesticide applications that would require notification.
If you would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in or around any school building for the 2018-2019 school year, please mail or e-mail your name, address, daytime and evening phone numbers to: Scott Cavellier, Homer Central School District, 80 S. West Street, Homer N.Y. 13077 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information call (607) 749-1234.